Big Night in Little Haiti - FREE
This Friday, September 21th, 6PM - 10PM
Little Haiti Cultural Center
212 NE 59th Terrace, Miami 33137
Classic konpa from legendary band Les Freres Dejean, and a fiery opening set by rara rockers Empress Addi. Sounds good! In the gallery, The Big Picture exhibition with IPC Visual Labl. Delicious Haitian food, cold Prestige beer, activities to keep the kids busy, and you have a Big Night.
- Les Freres Dejean take us directly to the golden age of konpa music. Formed in Haiti in 1963 by Lyonel Dejean, the group was originally called The Brothers of Petionville, playing elegant dance parties and concerts alongside their colleagues in other legendary orchestras of the day, the Shleu Shleu All Stars, The Ambassadors and more. They forged a new rhythm from their shared love of big band jazz, Haiti's rich musical heritage and Caribbean dance rhythms like merengue and Cuban son. The group have become revered statesmen of the konpa genre, yet still promise to bring the crowd to their feet dancing in concert.
- Empress Addi is a singer whose group Rara Rock, Haitian roots-rock music, is influenced by her life as a mother, writer, artist and student. She has been singing since the age of two, and also has dabbled in radio, TV and is now engulfed in her first love, music. Her passion for social justice and humanity has made her an unconventional deviant from pop culture. Her live shows become platforms to promote self-awareness and love for self and all, with soul-provoking melodies
- Mizikpam, your online Haitian and world music radio station, with DJ Mack, between sets. [Mizikpam.com]
- In the gallery: The Big Picture. The exhibit, presented by IPC Visual Lab, brings together the work of 17 photojournalists with 17 distinct points of view of the world.
- Family Art Corner by Positive Impact Foundation
- A raffle of goodies from our sponsor, Madame Gougousse: a basket with with their famous jasmine scented rice, cooking oil, coconut milk, plantain chips, seasoning, and more.
- Haitian Food and Drinks for sale, including delicious Prestige Beer
- Free Secured parking
7th Circuit Studios welcomes you to enjoy their gallery and boutique, just across from the Center at NE 59th Street, 6PM - 10PM. 228 NE 59 Street, Miami. They host the after show jam, starting at 10PM, featuring the Moksha Roots All Stars and special guests. [Moksha website]